Loans

The French seem ready for change

According to the latest Cercle de l’Epargne survey, only 20% of French people want the current pension system to be maintained. For inheritance rights, 49% support their total abolition, regardless of the amount of the inheritance.

Le Cercle de l’épargne and Amphitéa have published the results of their 2022 survey on savings and retirement, conducted in cooperation with AG2R La Mondiale. ” The level of French savings has reached 300 billion euros, including 190 billion euros in 2021. The savings rate stands at 17.5% of income, a higher level than before the crisis at 15%, of which a historic record at 28.1% during the first confinement. The French are savers at heart », introduces Jérôme Jaffré, director of the Center for Studies and Knowledge on Public Opinion.

According to the study, the French favor ” precautionary savings “. However, ” they are also more reforming than it seems just a few weeks before the presidential election.

20% of French people want the current pension system to be maintained

Major subject of the next presidential election, the reform of the pension system continues to be talked about. According to the survey, the French continue to declare themselves in favor of an in-depth reform. Only 20% are in favor of maintaining the current system. Nearly the majority of respondents, 46%, is in favor of a single plan. 34% say they are in favor of a distinction according to three sectors – employees, self-employed and civil servants – with the disappearance of special schemes.

According to the voting intention, the voters of Valérie Pécresse, Marine Le Pen and Éric Zemmour seem to be turned towards the single regime option. For the supporters of Jean-Luc Mélenchon and Yannick Jadot, the opinions tend towards a system organized around the three sectors, with in particular the disappearance of the special regimes. ” Emmanuel Macron’s central electorate is deeply divided as it is also on a reform of complementary health care for retirees or the financing of dependency. This testifies to the difficulty of carrying out reforms in the field of social protection. “, indicates the Circle of savings in its report.

For dependency, taxes and education!

Regarding the financing of dependency, the French are divided. According to the survey, citizens have a preference for taxes and contributions, rather than a compulsory insurance system. “ It is not uncommon to see citizens save for their retirement and, at this point in their lives, their savings become the heritage of the children. For example, many wonder how to pay for their stay in an nursing home when they own real estate that they refuse to sell. explains André Renaudin, General Manager of AG2R La Mondiale.

However, the results remain close. They were 57% to reveal their preference for taxes and social contributions. In return, the remaining 43% would turn more favorably to compulsory long-term care insurance when retiring.

A heritage freed, delivered…

Anxious to be able to submit part of their heritage to the next generation, the French are up to 49% for the total abolition of inheritance tax, regardless of the amount of the inheritance. ” The biggest surprise comes from the fact that it is the less financially endowed who are most willingly in favor of total abolition. Everything happens as if death and the desire to transmit to the living erased the demands for redistribution and equality. “, indicates The Circle of savings. For good reason, 56% of French people with no financial assets are in favor of completely abolishing inheritance tax.

They are 25% to be in favor of raising the exemption to 200,000 euros, 17% to wish to maintain the current exemption up to 100,000 euros and 9% to defend the limitation of inheritance to 12 million euros by direct heir.

In the same dynamic, respondents were 63% to wish to make tax-free donations more flexible. In particular, they defended a greater frequency, going from 15 years today to 6 years and for a higher amount of 150,000 euros, against 100,000 euros so far. In the opposition camps, they were 13% to promote an increase in the tax rate on gifts.

About the author

on100dayloans

Leave a Comment